It happens all the time, sometimes daily. You are sitting behind the keyboard, engaging with your community and you read it: a negative comment. Now, this is not just a negative contact, but it is pointed. Sometimes at the brand, sometimes at another community member, maybe even at you personally. You get filled with a range of emotions from anger, to sadness, to disappointment. You know you have to respond to this, but how do you keep your cool under pressure.
We have the perfect panel lined up for this topic as all of the panelists have been nominated for the #CMAD Diplomat award for handling all situations with tact and grace. Join us on this week’s #CMGRHangout panel Friday, February 20th at 2pm EST to talk with community managers who know how to keep cool under that pressure.
Jonathan Brewer, Dom Garrett and Sherrie Rohde will be hosting the Hangout with David DeWald, Christie Fidrura, Gabriel Graziani and Matt Kelly as panelists. Carrie Keenan and Sarah Nagel will be moderating the Twitter chat using #CMGRHangout.
David “Historian” DeWald
Community Manager at Thunderhead.com
David has over 15 years of experience with working with web based communities starting with early fan sites to large multi-community web sites, he brings his unique knowledge of social interactions to everything he does.
Former Community Manager of the number 2 ranked B2B Online Customer Community out of the Top 106, Christie is an award-winning and internationally recognised Senior Community Manager. She builds, manages, nurtures, grows, engages, empowers and activates Communities to improve the customer/corporate relationship, delivering benefits to both sides. Christie is a natural communicator and enjoys using social media to connect.
Senior Community Developer at Ubisoft
Gabe’s been working community at Ubisoft for nearly six years, serving as a bridge between video game developers and the players we serve. In spite of working long hours, he still spends more time playing than sleeping … much to his wife’s eternal chagrin.
Player Engagement Manager at Electronic Arts
Coming from a Games Design background, Matt works to connect game players with developers and deliver a transparent open relationship with the community. Meaningful engagement is always the top priority, and has been achieved by fostering an involved community that celebrates player creativity.
- What’s your immediate reaction when confronted privately by a community member?
- What’s your immediate reaction when confronted publicly by a community member?
- What steps do you take before responding to an angry community member?
- How do you keep perspective when attacks get personal?
- How do your actions/reactions change when the confrontation involves additional community members?
- How do you handle the stress when potential legal actions are part of the confrontation?
- What other tips do you have for building that tact and grace?
RSVP & Watch the Hangout
Want to RSVP for the Hangout? Visit #CMGRHangout presents: Diplomatic Community Management and let us know you’re going to watch. This will add the event to your calendar and remind you to attend! If you want to be on air, please let us know in advance by commenting on the event page. Let’s discuss ways you can attend:
- Watch: You do NOT need to join the hangout. Just stay on the Google+ Event and you’ll see the video on YouTube. (Don’t worry, it will be there and start playing as soon as the broadcast begins.)
- Talk and Be Seen: If you decide you want to talk, not just watch, please let us know in advance. (We will only invite a few people for this event, so let us know why you would like to attend.)
- Chat: You can chat here and/or follow the conversation on Twitter using #CMGRHangout.
Any questions? Just let us know in advance. Please don’t wait until 2pm EST to ask questions.
If you join us on the hangout, a wired internet connection is preferred and if you have a headset with mic or earbuds, that works best for the audio. You will also need a working webcam.
Not sure what time this is for your location? Use worldtimebuddy.com.
Latest posts by Dom Garrett (see all)
- 2016 Award Winners - January 25, 2016
- The wait is over! Announcing the 2016 CMAD Award Finalists - January 23, 2016
- Introducing the 2016 CMAD Award Nominees - January 20, 2016