Ah, it’s that glorious time of year. If you’re in the U.S., you’re ready to chow down on some turkey with your family – and then it’s time for Christmas. Yes, Christmas comes after Thanksgiving, even though it’s totally awful at waiting its turn. *ahem* Regardless, the holidays present an interesting dilemma for community managers: How do we take time off? Do we actually get to celebrate the holidays? Can we even unplug? What about global communities who don’t celebrate the same holidays?
We promise there’s a way to do it. It’s tricky, and ironically, we’re having this conversation on Black Friday. For those of us working in retail, it can be one of the busiest days of the year as a community manager. Luckily, we have a few experts joining us who were able to take time off from work and family time to share their insights on finding the right balance.
Join us for this week’s #CMGRHangout panel on Friday, November 27th at 2pm EST/11am PST to to trade tips on how to survive the holidays as a Community Manager.
Editorial Director at CMX Media
Carrie Jones is the editorial director of CMX Media and organizes SF Community Managers meetups. She has built community both full-time and as a consultant for companies such as Chegg, Scribd, Socratic, and Coursera.
Chief Marketing Officer at Meshfire
Amber Osborne a.k.a Miss Destructo is the Co-Founder and Chief Marketing Officer at Meshfire, an artificial intelligence driven social media management software in Seattle, WA. Amber is also the former Vice President and Co-Founder at Head of Lettuce Media in Tampa, Florida specializing in social media brand management and consulting.
- Do you have a policy in place for your community around the holidays? If so, what are key elements?
- How do you decide which holidays to celebrate within your community?
- How does community management differ for B2B and B2C communities during holidays?
- How do you manage your brand voice around the holidays?
- If you’re technically ‘off’ on a holiday, how do you manage spam moderation?
- How can community managers ever truly unplug, even when technically ‘off’ for a holiday?
- How should community managers let their members know that they’re taking time off?
RSVP & Watch the Hangout
Want to RSVP for the Hangout? Visit #CMGRHangout presents: Holidays 101 for Community Managers and let us know you’re going to watch. This will add the event to your calendar and remind you to attend! If you want to be on air, please let us know in advance by commenting on the event page. Let’s discuss ways you can attend:
- Watch: You do NOT need to join the hangout. Just stay on the Google+ Event and you’ll see the video on YouTube. (Don’t worry, it will be there and start playing as soon as the broadcast begins.)
- Talk and Be Seen: If you decide you want to talk, not just watch, please let us know in advance. (We will only invite a few people for this event, so let us know why you would like to attend.)
- Chat: You can chat here and/or follow the conversation on Twitter using #CMGRHangout.
Any questions? Just let us know in advance. Please don’t wait until 2pm EST to ask questions.
If you join us on the hangout, a wired internet connection is preferred and if you have a headset with mic or earbuds, that works best for the audio. You will also need a working webcam.
Not sure what time this is for your location? Use worldtimebuddy.com.
Latest posts by Berrak Sarikaya (see all)
- The Current State of Community Management - March 7, 2016
- How to Enjoy the Holidays as a Community Manager - December 15, 2015
- #CMGRHangout presents: Holidays 101 for Community Managers (Preview) - November 24, 2015