Helping the new kid on the block feel welcome in your community is fun, and not rocket science, but how do you get them engaged at the same time? Do you have a structure in place to introduce them to your other community members and get them acclimated?
This isn’t the first time we’ve talked about new community members, but it’s a great topic and often resurfaces in requests. If you want to do a bit of research before you come, try reading 8 Tips For Onboarding New Members by Adrian Speyer or Online Community Onboarding by Patrick O’Keefe. Both are great reads!
Join us on this week’s #CMGRHangout panel Friday, September 19th at 2pm EST to discuss how to get those new members engaged while you grow your community!
Jonathan Brewer and Dom Garrett will be hosting the Hangout with Hillary Boucher, Christie Fidura, Patrick Hellen, Jessica Malnik and Adrian Speyer as panelists. Sarah Nagel and Carrie Keenan will be moderating the Twitter chat using #CMGRHangout.
Community Manager at TheCR Network
Hillary Boucher is the Community Manager of TheCR Network – a private, peer network of community and social business practitioners and leaders. Essentially she is a community manager of community managers. Hillary spends her days onboarding new members, building leadership programs, and creating content & programming for her community.
Senior Community Manager Consultant
Former Community Manager of the number 2 ranked B2B Online Customer Community out of the Top 106, Christie is an award-winning and internationally recognized Senior Community Manager. She builds, manages, nurtures, grows, engages, empowers and activates Communities to improve the customer/corporate relationship, delivering benefits to both sides. Christie is a natural communicator and enjoys using social media to connect. She resides in London with her digital marketing husband and her natively digital 9-year-old daughter.
Community Manager at Cloudlock
Patrick is a Community Manager for Cloudlock, a cloud security company. His job is to provide a place for his customers to engage with one another, solve each other’s problems, and to push CloudLock to do exactly what the customer wants, at all times. He’s been successful with the first two, and he’s making his product managers nervous with the last. Patrick has been in the information security industry for the past decade, and has been a community manager for the past 3 years, working both with customers and cutting edge security researchers alike.
Social Media Specialist at Bigcommerce
By day, Jessica is the community manager for Bigcommerce, an ecommerce platform for SMBs. She manages the social customer service strategy, including overseeing a 15,000+ member support forum.
By night, she is a blogger for two different blogs. Jessica has been featured and written guest posts in a host of online publications including PR Daily, Spin Sucks, Social Fresh, 12 Most, Communications Conversations & Convince and Convert.
Marketing Manager at Vanilla Forums
Adrian works at Vanilla Forums as a Marketing Manager. He blogs about community and community management topics and is also an experienced community manager and forum owner.
- How do you optimize welcome emails to engage new members?
- When, and how, do you follow up with new members?
- How do you a new community member acclimate without feeling overwhelmed?
- How can other community members help engage a new member?
- How can you engage new members in feedback about your community?
- What other tips do you have for onboarding new members?
RSVP & Watch the Hangout
Want to RSVP for the Hangout? Visit #CMGRHangout presents: Onboarding New Members and let us know you’re going to watch. This will add the event to your calendar and remind you to attend! If you want to be on air, please let us know in advance by commenting on the event page. Let’s discuss ways you can attend:
- Watch: You do NOT need to join the hangout. Just stay on the Google+ Event and you’ll see the video on YouTube. (Don’t worry, it will be there and start playing as soon as the broadcast begins.)
- Talk and Be Seen: If you decide you want to talk, not just watch, click to join the hangout when we post the link here or when you see the notification. (We will only invite a few people for this event, so let us know why you would like to attend.) Do NOT click the link to join the hangout if you are just here to watch.
- Chat: You can watch here and/or follow the conversation on Twitter using #CMGRHangout.
Any questions? Just let us know in advance. Please don’t wait until 2pm EST to ask questions.
If you join us on the hangout, a wired internet connection is preferred and if you have a headset with mic or earbuds, that works best for the audio. You will also need a working webcam.
Not sure what time this is for your location? Use worldtimebuddy.com.
Latest posts by Sherrie Rohde (see all)
- #CMGRHangout is back October 6th – retro style. - September 22, 2017
- #CMGRHangout presents: Remote Working for Community Professionals (Storify) - April 7, 2017
- #CMGRHangout presents: Remote Working for Community Professionals (Preview) - March 20, 2017